Sunday, June 20, 2010

Hard Wood Floors and Fire Hazard and Porches oh my!

     Thursday marked the end of week three and it does not look like the same home that we purchased twenty two days ago.  Last week we ran across some problems and this week was not any better.  
     The hardwood floors in the kitchen and existing bonus room were laid and after they were laid we found out that the same color of wood was not used.  The original floors are a red oak and white oak hardwood was laid instead.  I know it seems insignificant but while renovating the home we have been paying attention to the detail as much as possible.  Our contractor offered to take out all of the white oak that was laid and replace it with red oak or if we were willing to keep the floors they way there were, he offered to give us a credit.  While I was slightly upset about the mix up, the original floors are fifty four years old and there is no way that the new floors would blend perfectly with the original ones.  We decided to keep the white oak and we are going to work with the hardwood guy on stains.  We hope to choose a stain that will compliment the two woods so you do not see too much of a variation in them.
     This week we also had the electricians come out and work on the addition as well to update some of the wiring in the original home.  During our home inspection our inspector found several outlets that were not grounded but overall thought that the wiring was in good shape.  After our electrician came out they told us that our current wiring was a fire hazard and that it all needed to be replaced.  After confirming with our contractor as well as Travis inspecting the problems that they were talking about, we are going to have to replace all of the wiring in the home. 
     On a good note the side entry porch was framed this week and it looks beautiful.  There is enough room to put our small bistro table and chairs that once belonged to Travis's grandparents.  I am hoping to plant a small garden next to the porch with herbs and vegatables and this will also be the perfect spot to go out and enjoy the mornings.
    Lastly I wanted to thank everyone for some helpful advice this week.  My good friend Wendy spent several hours on the phone with me this week helping me with our plumbing fixtures and cabinet hardware.  I thought that I had finalized everything on my own until Wendy politely suggested that the hardware that I picked for the kids bathroom looked a little "country" and that I may regret it once it is put in.  I really appreciate the fact that she understands my vision for our home and is willing to spend her time over the phone looking at cabinet hardware with me online.  I also wanted to thank Aunt Janet for her paint color suggestions.  I meant with an interior designer that works for our contractor on Saturday and we came up with several options that would work for the home.  I am going to go and get samples of everything so I can paint them on the wall to get a better idea on how the paint will work in each room.  
Our new side entry porch.
The new hardy board siding is being added to the addition.  Any ideas on what colors we should use to paint the outside of our home?
The framing in the guest room bath was moved 14 inches to the right, much better!
View into the master bedroom taken from the master bath.  My closet will be on the right and Travis's will be on the left and through the arch doorway will be our bedroom.
 Pedestal Sink that will go in our downstairs powder room.

Faucet for master and guest bathroom.

Faucet for kids bathroom

Kitchen Faucet

Most importantly...I picked out our wine refrigerator!

This is going to be a busy week for us and we are going to spend all of our free time packing.  The following week I am going to work on picking out the paint colors and lighting. 

1 comment:

  1. What happened to Christmas Song?!!! I'll need that song back up or DMB's "You and I" before I can make a legit post. Or some of Aunt Karen's cheesy rice casserole. In the meantime, I'd get full background checks on your future renters. You can't trust anyone trying to make it in the country music biz.

    ReplyDelete