Monday, June 28, 2010

Farewell Hillview Heights

After eight days of packing, Travis and I moved out this evening and passed our keys onto our new tenants.  It has been a very long week and I am extremely exhausted but I could not have done this without the help from our friends.  When I first found out that our renters wanted to move in ASAP I did not think that we could do it with all of the plans that we had already made for the week.  Travis had a softball game on Monday, we had a firm party on Tuesday and Thursday, then came all of the wedding weekend festivities with a kick off party for Dan and Andrea also on Thursday, the rehearsal dinner on Friday, and finally the wedding on Saturday.  Despite our busy schedule we managed to finish packing on Saturday, and Sunday morning all of our friends who were in town for the wedding helped us load our pod.  We only had one slight hiccup and instead of moving half our belongings to our new home we ended up having to rent a storage unit Sunday morning.  We were forced to do this b/c when I went over to our home Saturday afternoon to show it to our friends, we found two inches of water in the basement from the afternoon showers that we had.  Luckily our contractor was at the house when I discovered this and he believes that is from the sump pump being turned off since all of the electrical is being replaced but he is still looking into it.  Hopefully by the time we move in we will have a dry basement that stays dry.
It has not hit me yet that we will never be living at 818 Hillview Heights again.  As I have said before when we finally made the decision to purchase a new home I was heart broken that we would have to leave our town house.  We have had so many great memories and there is something about leaving your first place that makes it so hard. Travis and I purchased our town house exactly one month after our wedding and we moved in two and a half months later on November 15th, which was six years to the day after we had our first date.  Yes I actually remember every date still and I could not have asked for a better start to our marriage.  We made some wonderful friends at the Park at Melrose and I have loved living in the 12th South district.  Luckily we are only moving 6 minutes away and although it is so close, it is so much safer and I will not be afraid to walk outside at night! 
With the move last week we have not made too many decisions for the new house however I know that I will pay for it this week.  We have been asked to finalize the patio layout, pick out exterior paint colors, select a new front door, and I have to work on the lighting.  All of this with a holiday weekend coming up, my father in-law's 60th birthday, and family coming in town. 

August 28, 2007- the day we signed the contract on our town house
June 27, 2010- the day we moved out.  Thanks to the morning shift for helping us out and the afternoon and evening shift as well.  We could not have done this without the help from Jim, Nathan, Rob, Joe, Becca, Dee, Ashley, Joc, Kaitlin, and Brian.  Thanks again!

Congrats to Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Cleeton

This is the dormer that they had to add so that we would not hit our heads walking up the stairs.

View from the inside of the new dormer window.



Archway from the mud room that will connect to the home.


The bathtub was reinstalled in the addition.



2 comments:

  1. Aftin, this made me so sad :( I love your town home so much and I hate I didn't have the chance to say goodbye. The picture you both took on your signing day is precious. And next to the moving day one just brought tears to MY eyes. I know you will have even MORE happy memories in your new home. I'm so excited and proud of you.

    I get way too excited when I see everything you pick out for the kid's room and bathroom. I can't wait to be an aunt!!! Still trying to decide what I want them to call me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. AVS, I'm totally addicted to Project Swearingen. Totally. I'll be following your progress from Vegas for the next 2 weeks or so.

    PS - Aunt Mandy tears up daily in the office talking about your future kids :)

    ReplyDelete