Monday, March 10, 2014

Britt James, One Month Old

Well, it happened.  Britt James is growing like a weed and is already one month old.  As with Ava, it already feels like Britt has always been part of us but on the same hand I cannot believe that a month has already gone by since Britt was born.

This time around it is so much different and while I felt like I was walking around in a sleepy haze with Ava, I keep waiting for it to get as difficult with Britt.  While Ava was a sweet little baby, I think it is better with Britt because I know more what to expect that makes it easier this time.  The only time that he really is fussy is when he has a wet diaper, is hungry, or someone is not holding him.  While this may not be the best thing, he is a baby and babies should be held and cuddled and I spend the good part of the day carrying him around in the Ergobaby that straps to the front of me so that way he is being held but still gives me the use of both of my hands to do other things.  Britt is also great at taking long naps in his car seat and thanks to Aunt Emilie, he has a cover that goes over it that blocks out all of the light so he will sleep for a couple of hours allowing me to run errands.

Britt has not had too many milestones in his first month as he is still a newborn.  We were happy that he quickly regained and surpassed his birth weight and there are no health concerns.  As far as a schedule, he is now nursing every 3.5-4 hours so I know about when each day he is going to nurse which makes it good for me to schedule anything that needs to be done outside of the house.  For a sleep schedule I am amazed at how much he is still sleeping.  During the day I normally have to wake him up to feed him and then he stays awake 30 minutes to an hour after that.  Other than that he sleeps and at night I can normally get him back to sleep within 10 minutes of nursing him.  He does seem to like to be up for about an hour to an hour and a half between 4:00 am to 6:00 am if he is not being held so I normally end up holding him so that he will go back to sleep.  Britt is still wearing newborn diapers and I have not dressed him in anything other than his Kissee Kissee newborn sleeping gowns because it is so easy to dress him and change his diapers in.  Also we sponge bathed him his entire first month since it is the easiest way to bath a newborn.  Britt is great at nursing and latched on within an hour of being born.  I do find that he spits up more than Ava did but as long as I burp him in between nursing, he seems to be okay. 

At this point Britt is a big momma's boy which makes me happy.  Ava adores him and while she still refers to him as a her, she is always asking where baby brother is.  She gives him a lot of kisses and always makes sure that he is included in anything that she is doing.

Britt still is not focusing on anything at this point other than lights and will stare at them when he is awake.  My favorite feature is his mouth as it is so tiny and perfect.  He also has the cutest belly button which I call an innie outie meaning it is not a complete outie but it is not completely gone to an innie yet since loosing his umbilical cord.

Britt James has really completed us as a family.  I am excited to watch Ava and him grow up together and I feel beyond blessed on a daily basis that I was chosen to be the mother of two perfect babies.

Baby sneeze


And a baby yawn





Britt taking a nap in the Ergobaby

For comparison, here is a picture of Ava Marie at one month old.  I see so many similarities in them and love that you can tell that they are brother and sister.


No comments:

Post a Comment