Monday, May 19, 2014

Last week of maternity leave and Ava's "Big Girl Bed"

This is my last week at home with just Britt.  Next week Ava's school is closed Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday and then both Ava and Britt will start the summer session at Calvary.  I love that I will have my last couple of days at home before going back to work with both of my babies.  Ava will be moving up to the Honeybee room and Britt will be starting in the Panda room.  I stopped and met Britt's teachers this morning and asked a lot of questions about him starting next week.  We have had a great experience at Calvary with Ava and I know that Britt will be in good hands as well. 

While I am happy with their school, I started crying in the grocery store this morning at the thought of having to leave Britt.  The longest I have been away from him was a six hour stretch so I do not know how I am going to manage going back and working an eight hour day.  My time at home has helped me to put my life back into perspective.  At the end of last year I was a hot mess stressing over my job and I would work every night after Ava went to bed and I found that I was burned out.  I love that I have been given the blessing to be a mommy again and am going back to work with my family in mind and that they always come first.  I plan on working my day but as soon as I leave I am going to leave my work there and concentrate on my family when I am at home.  Life is too short not to enjoy my time raising my beautiful children.

In preparation of going back to work I am still working very hard at getting Britt to sleep during the night.  I have tried lots of different methods including giving him some water to calm him down in the night.  He had been going for stretches between 7-9 hours but the last week he has been waking every 2-4 hours and I feel like he is a newborn again.  He could just be going through a growth spurt but when I woke up yesterday morning I decided it was time to make a big change and move him out of our room.  There are a lot of distractions in our room and moving him out made the most sense.  The problem is he does not have a room in our rental so it meant moving Ava as well.  We had not moved Ava to a big girl bed yet since we did not want to have to change out the furniture before we move.  Ava was able to climb in her crib by herself and is really too big for her crib.  Since I needed her crib and glider for Britt, we set up a small toddler blowup mattress in our office which also serves as her playroom.  We got her really excited about her big girl bed and gave her a present for moving into her new room.  We gave her the Cloud B Ladybug Nightlight which projects stars on the walls and ceilings and can change colors.  Ava was immediately excited about her gift and wanted to take a nap.  She did great taking a nap and we set up a video monitor so when I saw her trying to get out of bed to play with her toys, I talked to her through the monitor and asked her to get back in bed and she listened and went right to sleep.  Britt did great as well and took a long nap in the crib and went 6.5 hours last night before we woke up.  I was worried that Ava would be upset seeing Britt sleeping in her crib but when I took her in this morning to change her, she looked at the crib and told me it was Britt's bed and that was that!

I am hoping that this bed transition will continue to go well and that Britt starts sleeping through the night soon.  Our condo gets smaller by the day and I am so looking forward to August and moving into our new home!


No comments:

Post a Comment