Thursday, April 24, 2014

Building Update

While lots and lots has been going on at the house, I do not consider it any of the fun stuff so I have not been taking as many pictures.  The plumbing, HVAC, and electrical has been installed and inspections should be completed today.  The cedar timbers for above the windows and doors have been stained and the brick has been delivered.  If all goes well they should start bricking it tomorrow!

The last two weeks we have been busy with appointments.  Last week I started with our lighting, did a walk through to discuss our audio needs, I went to look at granite for the fourth time, did a follow up meeting on our tile, and met with our two cabinet companies.  Months ago we had received two different bids on cabinets and while we liked the idea of true custom cabinets, the cost was so much more that we decided to go with the prefabricated cabinets.  Once we made our decision we talked about doing a custom stain on the island and in the butlers pantry and our kitchen cabinet company was not able to achieve the look that we wanted.  We went back to the custom cabinet company for a bid on the island and butlers pantry and after looking at the additional cost, decided to compromise and only do the butlers pantry in this stained finish.  I love the style and colors that we picked out with the prefabricated cabinet company and am also excited that we will still get the stained look in the butlers pantry that we wanted.

Tomorrow I am picking out our door knobs and the fireplace surround and on Monday we are meeting again to hopefully finalize our lighting.  I am happy that I am still on maternity leave because I do not know how I would find the time at work to make all of these appointments for the house.

The fireplace insert was delivered and they are changing out the design from a stacked brick to a houndstooth.  We asked for an inset above the fireplace  for our television so that it is flush with the wall and does not stick out.  I went by the house and noticed that they put it at the very top which does not make sense and would be hard to view the television so they are moving this down so it starts 6 inches above the mantel.
 We want a large island in the kitchen and this will be able to sit four people.  To give us extra depth our builder built the dummy cabinets below.  Our cabinet company will place their cabinets in front of it and then do a wrap all the way around it to make it look like one piece. 
 We have three HVAC units in the house and because of how they had to run the duct work in the kids playroom, they have to build a seat under the window to cover this.  I wanted to have a window seat here anyways so this worked out perfectly.
Pallets for bricks!
 The dark color of the stained timbers will look great against the lighter brick that we chose.
 I never understood why they have to install the bathtubs earlier than any of the other plumbing but this is in the kids bathroom and the guest bath was also installed. We are doing a pedestal tub in the master and this is not in yet.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! The house is coming along nicely. I just love seeing homes being built from its foundation. For me, it's a very sentimental and spiritual experience, which is also the reason why I like reading blogs like yours. Anyway, I do hope the contractors have fixed some of the issues you stated, like the T.V. insert for one. I think bathtubs come first before anything else because it's the bulkiest plumbing piece in the house. I'm sure everything will turn out beautifully once everything is done. All the best!

    Henrietta Fuller @ Bri-Tech

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine how exhausted you were after all the work you did on your house. On the other hand, I believe you’re totally satisfied with the progress of your house day by day. Anyway, I got to read your updates. It's nice to know that you finally moved in to your house and settling in nicely. I hope you’re not having any troubles with your plumbing, HVAC and electrical system, though. All the best to you! :)

    Shelley Coday @ C & C Heating & Air Conditioning

    ReplyDelete
  3. That window seat was a great idea! I wonder if you also included them in other rooms. Haha! Kidding aside, I’ve been reading your posts, and I can see that you’ve fully documented your house building. I hope that your kids were satisfied with the final results. Anyway, you could always call your builders in case you need help or advice with anything. Good luck!

    Tommy Hopkins @ AccuTemp

    ReplyDelete